What are a few of the benefits of Talking About Your Loss?
- Lessens the intensity of the sadness, anger, and pain
- Improves your immune, heart/vascular, and nervous systems
- Some needed out-loud thinking that can lead to perspective
- Feeling of peace and stability that it’s OK and you are normal for these feelings
- Venting and releasing stress around your grief
- Finding hope from others who may inspire or be helpful
- Finding support and understanding from others – possibly who’ve experienced a similar loss
- Learning coping skills and techniques from others
Tips for Whom To Talk To
1. Be aware others might not be ready or able to listen – ask first
2. Learn how to ask for what you need?
Do you need them to: just to listen, no problem solving or judgment, maybe you do want
advice or problem solving, just time to vent, some one to verify I’m not losing my mind,
a shoulder to cry on, bounce ideas off of, etc.
3. Choose carefully and wisely – be sure you trust them and they are someone unrelated and involved in your loss. Ask if they are able to listen with out judgment.
If there is no way you are comfortable talking about your loss at this time, try journaling. Writing can have similar benefits. However, talking to a trusted person, professional, mentor, coach, or spiritual guide can often result in greater benefits.
Do you have other ideas about talking about your loss and grief? What have you experienced? I’d love to hear more. Please share your thoughts with me. Email me @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to learn more about to handle grief and loss? Don’t miss my upcoming 3-part series – Overcoming the Tsunami of Grief starting Mon. Aug. 22 @ 1pm Eastern / 12noon Central/ 10am Pacific - Click here to learn more, set an alert and calendar reminder. I will be discussing my own journey, sharing helpful steps to overcome your grief, and share ways to figure out what is 'normal' and how to handle your loss around others.
Please share if you know someone who could benefit! Use the share buttons below.
Peace, & Blessings,
Bold Fulfilled Business & Life Coach–Change and Loss Specialty