The S.T.O.P technique is a terrific tool and developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn, mindfulness researcher. I learned about this tool when I was certifying as a Chopra Center Perfect Health Instructor. I use it myself and love seeing how it’s helping my clients manage and become aware and mitigating their stressors.
Ready to S.T.O.P stressing?
When to use this tool:
The STOP technique is a great tool to use when you’re feeling particularly stresses, triggered or high anxiety. It’s a mindfulness practice that can help slow down the body’s chemicals that are throwing you in to fight, flight, or fawn. It helps us regain our control and ability to deal with the stressor as it is vs. what we think it may be.
Steps to S. T. O. P. Stressing
S – Stop
Stop - where you are, what you’re doing and currently thinking – take a break
T – Take a Breath
- Literally – stop and take a few deep belly breaths.
- Breathe in slowly through the nose and then exhaling deeply through your mouth.
- Do this at least 3 times - longer if you feel stressed, and triggered.
- The intent is to center yourself and bring yourself into the present moment.
O – Observe
- Observe what is going on
- What are you feeling – emotionally and physically?
- Where do you feel this?
- What do you notice?
- What thoughts are you having?
- I like to ask client’s, “ What’s the story you’re telling yourself?"
- Observe without judgement. Just notice and be.
P – Proceed with a Plan
Now that you’ve stopped, paused to breathe and observed what’s going on – ask yourself:
- How would I like to respond?
- What would you like to be true?
- What’s most important right now?
Now proceed with compassion and kindness and intention with your plan.
How is your stress these days?
May I recommend the S.T.O.P technique? Let me know how it works for you!
If you would like support in dealing with stress, I can support you with tools. I love supporting clients and helping them build resiliency so they bounce back from stress.
Click here to reach out to me or set up a 30min discovery call.
Peace, and blessings,
Teresa – Remembering the S.T.O.P. technique when stressed.
Teresa Q. Bitner, M.Ed., PMP, ACC - Resiliency, Change and Loss Coach
Partnering with those who have been knocked down by life and want to build resiliency and move forward and live a bold life.