When someone asks me about confidence, I first ask them what does confidence look, sound and act like for them.
Some clients describe confidence as: good eye contact, standing/sitting up straight, smiling, having charisma, being likeable, walk in and own the room, not being afraid to talk, sitting at the table, or sharing ideas.
For me confidence is what it feels like when I’m in the power stance (hands on hip, chest forward and legs wider than hips - think wonder woman). When I’m confident, I believe I can do it; I trust that I have the skills or resources. If not, I can find them. I believe if I fail, I’ll at least learn something.
A quick Google search says, “a feeling of self-assurance or trust arising from one's appreciation of one's own abilities, qualities, or judgment.
What can cause low confidence?
childhood trauma/abuse, disapproving adult figure, negative thoughts about personal appearance, work stress and issues to name a few.
How it can show up in your life:
checking out and isolating, I call it sinking into yourself, shying away. You may be overly concerned with what others think and will say to you or about you. You may fear challenges or new things. You’re likely to not be taking good care of yourself, self-care is lacking. You say yes to everything. You lack a social life outside of social media.
13 Quick Ways to Grow Your Confidence
- List all of your abilities?
- What is your superpower?
- What top three things are you really good at?
- What character qualities are you proud of?
- What character qualities do you admire about yourself?
- List a few of the great decisions you’ve made in your life.
- Smile more, especially when talking to people
- Make eye contact, even to the camera when talking to people.
- Be prepared – for work, for play, for that presentation
- Set micro goals and achieve them. It’s contagious.
- Focus on solutions and look at problems as puzzles to figure out.
- Practice self-compassion – give yourself encouragement.
- Share your encouragement with others.
Which one of these will you try today?
Here’s to growing your self-confidence. It’s perfectly normal to have moments of low confidence and questioning yourself. Dip into these tips to back your confidence. Remember the world has only one YOU. You are a unique God created being and the world needs you and your talents.
If you would like support to build your confidence or other skill, please reach out and contact me. I love supporting my clients to get up and bounce back and live boldly.
Click here to reach out to me or set up a 30min discovery call.
Peace, and blessings,
Teresa – Feeling confident and fully present.
Teresa Q. Bitner, M.Ed., PMP, ACC - Resiliency, Change and Loss Coach
Partnering with those who have been knocked down my life and want to build resiliency and move forward and live a bold life.
Author of Soul Love: How A Dog Taught Me to Breathe Again &
The First Days Widow Journey