Being thankful plus expressing gratitude builds resilience. According to Sean Anchor it also can increase your success and happiness. For your family you become kinder and develop a happier marriage and relationships.
Gratitude improves our productivity and decision making at work. It can even makes you a better manager and leader.
Did you know that expressing gratitude can:
- keep you healthier
- increase your overall well-being
- help you sleep better
- reduce stress & depression
- build a stronger cardiovascular and immune systems
- leads to longevity
- give you an energy boost
- grow your positivity
- improve your relationships & community
Who couldn’t use some positive energy, especially this time of year?
When you express gratitude, it can change your outlook for hours!
Did you know one way to build resiliency is to be grateful and express your thanks? Plus, practicing gratitude can make you a happier more successful person.
Want to learn how to express gratitude & build resiliency? Here are 15 tips to help you get started. I’ve also got resources below for you to learn more. Oh, I added a couple extra too!
15 Tips to Express Gratitude & Build Resiliency
- Be present, put away electronic devices and tune into people
- Reduce your intake of negative & destructive media (social media, music, TV, podcast, movies)
- Tune into nature and look at the beauty
- Thank your friends, colleagues, and family
- Say thank you and look at the person’s face
- Write a paper thank you note and mail it (yes good old fashioned paper)
- Pay it forward act (buy a coffee, lunch, or treat)
- Leave a handwritten note in a random place
- Tell someone their strengths (without judgment or BUT…)
- Acknowledge someone's effort and/or sacrifice (Veterans Day is Monday...)
- Like, share and be positive on social media
- Keep a gratitude log, journal, jar, or whatever works for you
- I use my daily calendar and write out 3 gratitude’s daily for the day before. I review them at the end of the year. I used to use have a daily reminder on my phone and verbalize them out loud.
- Volunteer and/or donate what you have (time, finances, resources)
- Meditate and/or Prayer time
- Bonus tip – the more specific you can be the higher the impact for you and the receiver
- Bonus tip 2 – be mindful and in the present - it benefits both you and those around out
How to Express Gratitude Deeply
1. Recognize the positive
2. Identify the source of what’s positive - get detailed, why, who, how, etc.
3. Express appreciation in words - tell them to their face if possible.
4. Experience the joy that results - from them and inside you!!
Here’s to being grateful and building your resiliency!!
Thank you for YOU ! I appreciate each of you & I am grateful for YOU - who read, comment, support my work and life!
How do you express gratitude? Do you have a practice that you’d like to share? I’d love to hear from you and learn more about how gratitude has changed your life.
Did you find this a useful or thought-provoking topic? Click like, share, or comment please.
Peace, Love, & Blessings,
Teresa - blessed and grateful beyond - thank you for reading this!
Teresa Bitner, PMP, M.Ed., ACC
Partnering with those who have been knocked down my life and want to bounce back, build resiliency and move forward to a bold life.
Gratitude Resources: Share & enjoy!!
Science Behind Gratitude
Why Gratitude it Good - Dr. Robert Emmons - UC Berkley
31 Benefits of Gratitude: The Ultimate Science-Backed Guide
The Neuroscience of Why Gratitude Makes Us Healthier
What to do When You’re Not Feeling Thankful
Gratitude Physically Changes Your Brain, New Study Says