OR, Are you in the camp that set’s goals and resolutions? If so, how’s it going? Still cranking away and zooming towards your goals. Maybe you even met a few. High five to you!
Or maybe you are with the camp of, I set goals or make resolutions and I find that Change is HARD. Maybe you are good till about March then I fall off the wagon. Change is hard and new habits take time. We’ve all heard that before. I get that and often March/April is when I fall off the goal wagon, that happened in 2016. So what do we do? Is there anything we can do? Yes, Read on.
I’ve talked to numerous people over this last month about Goals and Resolutions and it seems most of us fall into one of the following categories. Goal/Resolution Setter, Goal/Resolution Hater, Goal/Resolution Half-wayer (to coin a new phrase).
To the Haters – I get that, I’ve been there. I am curious to the why? Is life so perfect and amazing that you no longer feel the need to have goals? That’s awesome! Tell me how you got there? OR Is life so messed up you’ve given up hope on yourself and others? Is there something else? Perhaps fear of failure. Do you think that, maybe if I don’t set goals then I won’t feel bad about not reaching them? Been there, get that. Maybe it’s something else, please share and comment, I'd really love to understand. Haters read on.
To the Goal/Resolution Setters – I find there are a few types of these folks.
- One type I see is, “I set goal because I use them to drive myself/business/relationships (whatever) forward and continue to improve.” These folks are constantly seeking growth and forward movement in life.
- Another type, “I set goals and make lists to help me reach my goals. I love the feeling of completion of a goal and getting to cross it off my list.”
- Another version of Goal/Resolution Setter – “I always do this every year and it sets the course for my year.” They are visionaries for their lives and use goals and resolutions to map out their year.
To the Half-Wayers – These are folks who should, need and want to do something different in 2017. They often don’t necessarily know how, have the support or understand the why the change is really for the best.
- There are people who feel they should, “Well I SHOULD do XYZ (insert goal- loose 20lbs., exercise more, etc.) … so here’s my goal to do that.” These folks have a something external driving their goal. The drive is not deep within.
- I know folks that say, “I NEED to do ___ in 2017, so I’ll make a goal or set a resolution. “ There’s an obligation to do something different. Not necessarily what they want or will to do.
- Then there are the folks that WANT to do something, “I want to be happy/fulfilled/joyful/richer/in a new job (you fill in the blank) in 2017 so I’ll do (insert goal)” These folks have a desire to do something different and set a goal. However they may lack the tools or support to accomplish it.
What can we do to reach our goals? Do we have to set goals? How do people actually meet their goals?
There’s a ton written on this subject and feel free to Google to your hearts content. Are there really ways to reach goals? Who can help? Read further to find out. I’ve got free tips and resources for you to help you accomplish what you want.
Tips for All Types On Accomplishing Things (I avoided the world Goal on purpose)
Hater’s - Ready to invest time and energy to move forward?
- Pick something you’d like to do or accomplish in the next week or month.
- Take a few moments to think about the outcome and how you’d feel when you accomplished this.
- The longer and more vivid that vision is the better.
- That’s it!
Goal Setters – Have a goal that’s particularly challenging?
- Do the same as above for the Haters and add some mini steps to accomplishing it.
- Break the goal into bite size chunks.
- How many steps and actions does it take to reach the tough goal?
- Who could help you?
- What resources do you have?
Half-Way-ers -Should/Need/Want to-ers – Ready to move past the guilt, obligation, desire but no action?
- Pick one small thing you can do today to move forward on your goal.
- Make that one thing a SMART goal.
- Specific, Measureable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timebound.
- You can always add the Hater and Goal-Setter steps as well.
- For example my big overall goal is: I desire less stress in my life and wish to incorporate a meditation practice to my daily routine. Here’s a bite size goal for one-day example:
- S: I will meditate
- M: for 15 minutes
- A: Yes – I have the time blocked in my schedule (I can do it now, 9am daily, etc.)
- R: Yes, I have a quiet space for this and guided meditation support.
- T: Today 1/XX/17 for 15 minutes.
- S: I will meditate
- Complete the goal and celebrate – you took one step forward!!
See how easy that was? Easy the first time, by March not so much. I totally understand that. I fall into that as well sometimes. We all know it takes time for habits to form. Looking for support in achieving goals and making new habits? Let’s connect.
How about a real tried and true method that works and can move you forward toward a goal or goals? You probably are thinking, really Teresa? Sounds too good to be true. Those that know me, know I am a no BS kind of gal. There is a program called Now What?® and it works. I’ve used it for my own business and became a licensed facilitator as a result. I’ve worked with clients and seen the difference it can make in others lives. I now offer it as a coaching package. Who does it work for?
Now What?® Is for you if you are:
- Ready to make a Change
- Change has happened to your life
- Loss of a loved one, health status, caregiver status, moved, or deployed.
- Job Change
- Job isn’t fulfilling, feeling stressed out, bored, or want a new rewarding job.
- Career Change
- Laid off, right sized, down sized, preparing for retirement, or re-entering workforce.
- Feeling stuck
- Lack of purpose and or passion
- Looking for clarity
- Ready to develop a strategy and design a plan to accomplish your new direction.
Looking for information on Grief and Goals - check out my Jan. 2016 blog post on this topic.
Are you or someone you know going through a life change and wonder what’s next? Feeling stuck and not sure what to do? If so, I’d be honored to embark on that journey together with you. I partner with those who desire change and are ready to make positive changes. Together we work to move forward to live boldly and fulfilled. I love hearing my clients regain their lives and loving life again.
Check out my website or email me to learn more. Let’s connect. If you want more change, loss, and life tips register for my newsletter – to the right of this blog.
Wishing you and yours a Peaceful, Prosperous and Blessed New Year,
Teresa Bitner, PMP, M. Ed., ACC
Bold Fulfilled Business & Life Coach –Change, Loss and Resilience Specialty
5 things to Remember When Setting Goals 2017
Reach Goals and Make Dreams Happen in 2017
Can Goals be Too Big?
Overview and SMART Goals: http://www.mindtools.com/page6.html
A different view of goals. Systems related. Interesting take. http://jamesclear.com/goals-systems
Why You Should Be Writing Down Your Goals - Forbes
Teresa's Free Resources and References